Skill-based training launches MAS CSP alumni into impactful positions around the globe.
Jaimie Huynh, '16
Environmental Scientist CalRecycle
"I work on environmental justice issues. A main goal is to work with communities that are disproportionately burdened by environmental pollution and find ways to minimize the pollution and empower the communities to engage. My tip for future CSP students is to absorb all you can while you're in school - and enjoy your office view!"
Anais Teyton, '18
PhD Student - Scripps Oceanography
"I am a Research Assistant as part of the Climate Change Research Initiative at NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies. I am also an MPH student at New York University. The skills, knowledge, and values I learned from the CSP Program have prepared me to pursue a career in the integrative field of climate and health research."
Michael Baker, '19
Environmental Specialist II Florida Dept. of Environmental Protection
"I protect Florida's waters by processing environmental resource permits. Part of my job is to take Florida's laws and statues and apply them to each project to determine what level of authorization is required. For all new students, don't limit your scope based on the resume or experience you have because there might be a job you grow into you would have never thought you'd be in!"
The Masters of Advanced Studies in Climate Science & Policy Program (MAS CSP) alumni hold leadership positions in government, the private-sector, at non-profits and climate organizations around the world. They spearhead initiatives, influence policy, and guide organizations in meaningful climate adaptation and mitigation strategies.
See below for a few examples where MAS CSP alumni are making an impact:
- Environmental Scientist II - Florida Department of Environmental Protection
- Program Support Specialist - Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement
- Data Manager - NOAA Southwest Fisheries Science Center
- Environmental Scientist - CalRecycle
- Policy & Program Analyst - Alaska Lt. Governor's Office
- Earth System Model Specialist - Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Math, Science & Music Teacher - Madison Metro School District
- Environmental Scientist - State Water Resources Control Board
- Science Program Manager - Climate Science Alliance
- Program Manager - The Maritime Alliance BlueTech
- Legislative Assistant - Ocean Conservancy
- Environmental Scientist - TRC Companies
- Science-Policy Interface Consultant - UN Environment
- Deputy Director - Japanese Ministry of Economy, Trade & Industry
- Environmental Correspondent - The Straits Times (Singapore)
- Assistant to the Governor - Kostanay, Kazakhstan
- Research Analyst - Rhodium Group
- Research Fellow - Institute for Environmental Research & Sustainability
- Staff Researcher - Scripps Institution of Oceanography
- Research Assistant - NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies
Photo: Erik Jepsen
We are committed to supporting lifelong professional development and career support for MAS CSP graduates. Alumni have lifetime access to two dynamic centers:
School of Global Policy & Strategy (GPS) Career Services. The MAS CSP Program partners closely with GPS to offer customized career resources specifically focused in climate science, environmental policy, sustainable energy and cleantech sectors. Services include quarterly workshops, individual coaching, and a centralized career management tool for students, alumni and employers.
UC San Diego Career Services Center. The Center provides campus-wide opportunities allowing students to:
- Practice your elevator pitch at their networking nights & career fairs
- Meet representatives from top companies through on-campus interviews
- Explore thousands of job opportunities through Handshake
MAS CSP students fine-tune existing skills and develop highly-marketable new ones in order to secure challenging and satisfying careers after they graduate. In addition to the CSP curriculum, students may take advantage of a wide array of opportunities including:
Professional Development Workshops
Held each quarter, these workshops are specifically designed for Scripps MAS students to build confidence and preparation to secure highly-satisfying careers. Topics include: Tableau data software, USAJobs, cover letter writing, practice interviews, salary negotiation, and more.
UC San Diego Extension Courses
Powerful, skill-based classes are available, including Project Management Bootcamp, Sustainability and Behavior Change, and a Public Speaking certificate. Note: Extension courses do not count towards the MAS CSP degree.
11 evening sessions build business fluency and situate students at the nexus of management and oceanography.
16-hr certificate program to learn effective tools, gain exposure to the culture of entrepreneurship, and have access to the mentorship of the Entrepreneurs in Residence
Scientific Diving Course
100-hr course for anyone wishing to use SCUBA in a scientific or research capacity
Photo: MacKenzie Elmer